Friday, March 28, 2014

The best Ubuntu screenshot utility?


After years of using screen shot utilities like Shutter (which is a beautiful, well made screen shot utility), I still find myself going back to a rather simple but very effective screen shot utility. 

That's right, XFCE's screen shot utility, "xfce4-screenshooter". (This is also the command for launching it.)

With the many options available such as Shutter, Snapper, Scrot, Screenie-QT, gtk-vector-screenshot, gnome-screenshot, gpe-screenshot (just to name a few, because I didn't include such options as gkrellshot with image magick, for instance)... why would I choose xfce4-screenshooter?

The simple answer is simplicity. All the options I need, none that I don't, and fast as a whip.

Shutter is beautiful, but takes a bit to load on my machine. xfce4-screenshooter loads instantaneously for me. 

And all the options I use are right at my fingertips.

Here's a screen shot of the utility in action:


I mostly use the "select a region" option. As you can see, it does not have the plethora of options Shutter has. It only saves as png, and as for options, you are looking at 'em.

Of coarse some people have very specific needs, and there is a lot to be said for fuller screen shot utilities like Shutter. But for my money, xfce4-screenshooter is the tops.

Here's what the xfce4-screenshooter team had to say about their software:

"The Xfce4-screenshooter is an application that can be used to take snapshots of your desktop screen.

This application allows you to capture the entire screen, the active window or a selected region. You can set the delay that elapses before the screenshot is taken and the action that will be done with the screenshot: save it to a PNG file, copy it to the clipboard, open it using another application, or host it on ZimageZ, a free online image hosting service." -http://docs.xfce.org/apps/screenshooter/start

To install xfce4-screenshooter in Ubuntu, it as simple as sudo apt-get install xfce4-screenshooter in your terminal emulator, or use a package manager such as Ubuntu Software Center or Synaptic to install it.

No comments:

Post a Comment