Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Get to know Xubuntu!


Before I start diving into this subject, let me explain what Xubuntu is.

Xubuntu is Ubuntu (a Linux based operating system), but with XFCE, a much faster and rock solid desktop environment than Unity (In my opinion), which is the default Ubuntu desktop environment.

Over the years I have played with many distributions of Linux, and the many ways available to render the desktop.

KDE, Gnome 3, Gnome 2, Unity, XFCE and LXDE for starters.

I have even used Blackbox, Openbox, and a plethora of other available "window managers".

After Unity became the standard for Ubuntu, I started shopping around for another desktop environment.

I don't hate Unity, especially now that it has grown up a bit. It just does not fit, it is a round peg, and I am a square hole, if you will.

I decided to retry XFCE. I wasn't a fan in the past of the look, but the Xubuntu team has gone a long way towards making XFCE look more rounded off and polished.

Older versions of Xubuntu had fairly normal XFCE. XFCE has a plethora of settings options, which in my opinion is just one of the reasons why it is head and shoulders above LXDE, and above the window managers like Openbox.



Here is a screenshot from Xubuntu.org:


And here is a screenshot from my desktop configuration:

Click the photo to enlarge it
XFCE responds much quicker than KDE, Unity or Gnome 3. It also responds quicker than Gnome classic "no thrills" edition.

I have yet to see a speed difference between XFCE and Openbox, which I have used extensively.

These are just a few of the reasons why I suggest you give XFCE, or better yet, Xubuntu, a try.

7 comments:

  1. Is there any versions for labtops and tablets? or can any downloaded version of Xbuntu do the job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is running on my Compaq CQ57 Laptop as we speak. It runs very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I agree with you there. I'm using Xubuntu currently, because my computer is slower than it used to be, definitely great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love desktop unity environment but unity is slowly in my laptop ,I wish find in xubuntu what i want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK OK i will install Xubuntu in my laptop don't be angry :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not angry. To install Xubuntu from Ubuntu, type sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop in the terminal window. :)

      Delete