Monday, May 30, 2016

Dead Drops, Un-cloud your files in cement!

A cousin of mine shared this with me, she knows I love all things tech. It reminds me of Geocaching, a treasure hunt for adults. In many ways this is Geocaching, except with computer files.

Here is what the Dead Drops.com web site says about the project:

"‘Dead Drops’ is an anonymous, offline, peer to peer file-sharing network in public space. USB flash drives are embedded into walls, buildings and curbs accessible to anybody in public space. Everyone is invited to drop or find files on a dead drop. Plug your laptop to a wall, house or pole to share your favorite files and data. Each dead drop is installed empty except a readme.txt file explaining the project. ‘Dead Drops’ is open to participation." -https://deaddrops.com/



I checked my local area, and there are no "Dead Drops", but there are a few in my state, Wisconsin. Here is a nice pic of what I was able to find in the badger state:


Here is a video from deaddrops.com explaining the formation of this unique network:



If you are interested in seeing if their is a dead drop near you, here is a list and map of the known dead drops of the world:

https://deaddrops.com/dead-drops/db-map/

No comments:

Post a Comment