Thursday, October 21, 2021

Bodhi Linux 6, very nice indeed!

 


I decided to check out an old "frenemy" of mine. Bodhi has always been very lightweight, and because of that, very fast Linux distro.

I had issues with Bodhi 5. Moksha, the modified enlightenment desktop that Bodhi uses, would just decide to lose elements I had placed, or would decide they should be in new locations. It's frustrating to log in one day to find your clock is gone or some other useful item is misplaced or has shuffled off it's mortal coil for some strange reason.

I am glad to say I have not seen the same behavior in Bodhi 6.

Now before I go any further, this is by definition a very chopped, speedy environment. If you want all the bells and whistles of Ubuntu, this is not the Linux for you. 

But if you were to add the entirety of Ubuntu, it would no longer be fast, so choose wisely before jumping ship to Bodhi.

When I first installed Bodhi, this is what I was treated too: (click any of these images to enlarge them to full size)


It's not ugly, but It's not for me. Green is just not a color I want a lot of on my desktop.

So, the first thing I did was change the theme to the default. It has some nice gun metal grey with blue highlights feels going, and that I can get behind.

Then I installed the entire Google Chrome browser after ditching the chromium browser that was installed. I like my drm content like netflix, which does not work with Chromium. (I know, Google Chrome is bloated).

I also installed neofetch, htop, and telnet services, to show off a little ansi art from my favorite bbs.

 A nice wallpaper, and a bit of tweaking, and I could use this as my daily driver. Here's my tweaks:


and this is my Bodhi tweaks doing some busy work:


You can see that Bodhi isn't even touching my resources, and this is already trimmed quite a bit from my real machine, because this is running in a virtual machine.

It's fast, very stable, and I love some of the old school touches to it. Like Terminology for a terminal emulator. You get all the fun of feeling like you are in a 80's or 90's hacker flick, with all the useful extras like multiple tabs...

If you are in the market for a new Linux Os, or just want to monkey around in a different desktop environment or a spartan Linux distro, Bodhi is for you.

This is Bodhi's website: https://www.bodhilinux.com/

And this is the download page: https://www.bodhilinux.com/download/

No comments:

Post a Comment