Tuesday, November 3, 2020

The stupidity of Brostrend wifi adapters


I bought an ac1200 from them. Let me first say in all fairness, if you can get it to run, it's very nice. I am writing you via it right now.

The stupidity comes in when they give you a wifi adapter for Linux that by their own admission, needs a driver FROM THE INTERNET.

They told me via email that the driver on the cd is not recommended for use.

This is the stupidest possible issue you could ever have with a device that you use to gain access to the internet (kind of like having a gasoline driven car in the 1600's, gasoline doesn't exist yet.)

If I buy a wifi device, i expect that it will come with EVERYTHING i need to gain access to the internet, including a driver that does NOT need a internet connection to be installed.

Secondly, I know this can be done. (Brostrend said it was impossible, they are either completely clueless, or lying, or both).

How do I know this? I own several wireless N devices that come with a driver that has worked from Ubuntu 10.04 until today, (yes, they run on 20.04 lts beautifully).

I would still be using them, but they are dramatically slower than the ac1200.

The moral of my story: either don't buy a Brostrend device for Linux at all, or also buy a model known to work with Ubuntu as well, without needing a internet connection, so you can install the blasted drivers for the Brostrend device.

All I can say is thank goodness I have those older wifi n adapters lying around, or I would be internet-less.

 Thanks for being serious screw ups, Brostrend.

-Denny


 

No comments:

Post a Comment