Thursday, August 27, 2020

Flameshot - My favorite screenshot utility for Linux


A friend of mine by the name of Peter Brown introduced me to Flameshot, and I love this screenshooter.

I always have been a fan of xfce4-screenshooter, simply for the fact that it was "just enough" of a screenshooter utility. And it still is, but... Flameshot has very useful tools and is just so handy I am now a Flameshot man.

Any screen capture utility can take the entire screen. Where Flameshot shines is all the extra tools that are available for you when you select a section of an image.

Before I show my own screenshots of this awesome app, I wanted to add this great gif from https://github.com/lupoDharkael/flameshot. It does a lot better job than my own work below.


I had to share that, the team made such a great showing of their useful works. These next shots are of the tools I love the most.


Here is Flameshot's menu. There are some great options here, like sharing to imgur, pinning it to the desktop, and stuff like that. But my favorite options are those below the image.


First off, holding right click gives you this quick color chooser. I usually pick the red or blue because those seem the most visible, but it's nice having the options.


These screen captures are out of sync, so forgive me, but I love the draw arrows utility, which is what this one is showcasing. The arrow on the bottom tool set here is so useful for pointing out details of screenshots you capture.


Scrolling the mousewheel will let you choose the size of your text. (and other tools). This is so useful for adding info quickly to images. (Yes, this software is awesome.)


There's a lot going on here, but what I am trying to point out is the blur tool. As you can see in the middle, I was able to blur out some of the text. The tool that does this is the one that looks like a bunch of dots together, on the bottom bar.


This is me showing the addition of circles, open boxes and filled boxes. I use these tools often to highlight specific portions of my images.


This is me just showing the useful right click menu (once you launched flamshot) in your window manager's running apps section.

These tools prove useful for me very often.

For help in installing this software, go here: https://flameshot.js.org/#/getting-start

Here is their homepage: https://flameshot.js.org/

I think you'll be glad to add this app to your app tool belt. :)
-Denny

No comments:

Post a Comment